Undeterred By The Blacklist, Lee Grant 'Said Yes To Everything'
On the shock of turning 65 after a lifetime of lying about her age
My financial adviser in California had gotten the forms saying I had reached the age of my social security. I was 65. And he didn't know how to tell me. ...
So he called Joey — Joey's my second husband. So the door just bursts open, and he comes over to me, and I'm watching television sitting on the edge of the bed, and he says, "You're 65 years old." He yells it at me. I fell to the floor. I said, "I'm not, I'm not!" It was like a Blanche DuBois moment. And he said, "Yes, you are. We've got all this money coming in." ... So I unfortunately had to accept the fact.
It's not so bad now. There's still remnants of ... those times when I couldn't do anything, that I had to make up time. And I still have that feeling. But I'm getting more comfortable.